To become a follower to Darlene's blog, click on the "follow" tab at the very bottom of the screen.

Friday, March 28, 2008

Ratrace Speed

I planned to do too much this morning.

On an ordinary day, with ordinary traffic, perhaps I could have managed it. I wanted to drop by the church to pick up a check, go to the funeral home to drop off a letter, and then go to an office supply store to get supplies for scrapbooks. All in an hour and a half. I should have known better.

Nothing has been ordinary since March 17th.

We had to skip the stop at the funeral home. By the time we waited all the way through the cycle of a long traffic light, then waited in a four-car line at MacDonalds for lunch, Mom & I were ready to scream.

I've got to remember. Everything takes longer than I expect it will. Everything takes more energy than it used to. Plan to do less.

It's the first weekend we'll be alone. I am frightened. We usually spent Saturday afternoon and evening with Jolene. Those hours loom in front of me, scaring me, daring me to fill them with something. Anything. Tomorrow night I'll have to tell you how it went.

4 comments:

Mary Connealy said...

I'll be praying for you, Darlene.

Marjorie Vawter said...

definitely praying for you, Darlene. Especially today.

Darlene Franklin said...

Thanks for your prayers. I actually slept 10 hours last night, the first really good night's rest I've had since we learned about Jolene's death. Now we head out.

Lynette Sowell said...

I'm glad you got some good rest. I'm sure you needed it. I hope you two found something to do today, something you enjoyed. When we lost Eddie in the fall, we felt guilty about enjoying things. But we knew Eddie would say, "I'm gonna kick yer butts if you sit around mopin' because of me." And that was Eddie. :)