To become a follower to Darlene's blog, click on the "follow" tab at the very bottom of the screen.

Sunday, March 29, 2009

More spring sights

Lately it seems like I live in the country, not in a heavily populated metropolitan area.



I have grown used to seeing cottontails everywhere from the patch of lawn behind Good Times to the bushes in front of the office. Prairie dogs successfully moved their "town" from one side of the street to the other--unsure if they dashed across or carefully burrowed their way underneath. One year I even saw teeny-tiny babies, probably out of the hole for the first time. Adorable!



Lately we've even received emails at work about "what to do if you see a coyote." Well, I've seen coyotes or foxes at various times--from the safety of my car.



But what I saw last week beats all.


Rounding a corner on my way home, I looked, blinked once, and looked again. Those weren't horses (I do occasionally pass horses in the field) or cows. Slender legs. Short, slightly rounded ears. A perky nose at the end of a snout. Short tails turned up with white showing. Five or six head, with a single antlered male keeping watching over his herd. Deer. In the middle of the city.

In Job (this week's through-the-Bible listening), God challenged Job with this question:"Do you watch when the doe bears her fawn?"

God is still the almighty God of nature (my daily drink of the majestic Rockies reminds me of that)--but Job didn't live in a city.

Maybe some day this spring I'll spot that fawn.

No comments: