To become a follower to Darlene's blog, click on the "follow" tab at the very bottom of the screen.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Sore Muscles, Happy Heart

Yesterday I turned my "notice to vacate" into the apartment office. Two months and counting. How quickly the time is going. How much remains to be done. Gulp!

Last week I pushed myself to pack the hallway bookshelves. There is only enough room to stand; before my surgery, I couldn't have done it. So I praised God for legs that will hold me, and bent and straightened and shifted books and videos and other heavy items.

By Friday, my legs had had enough. My left knee cramped when I sat done on the low toilet seat, and I worried about whether or not I would be able to stand during the Good Friday service that night. I made it through the service, but made a point of taking a very quiet Saturday. I did grocery shopping, but no house work. No packing. So once again I'm behind.

Sunday, the sky was overcast, and I was still sore. I walked into the church library. But as I mentioned on Monday, I was feeling good. Easter does that for me. A friend greeted me. "You're smiling today!"

The librarian said, "Darlene's always smiling!"

Always smiling. I told her how much that meant, given everything that's happened this past year.

Always smiling. Because with God, I am always all right, even if when my life is falling apart.

Always smiling. Maybe that's why my co-workers bend over backwards to help me, even though I'm quiet and don't joke back and forth quite as much as everyone else.

Always smiling. I'm glad that's the memory people have of me.

Because since God is for me ... who can be against me?

Absolutely no one.

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

What a great compliment! A smile lights up the soul!
Keep smiling friend.