To become a follower to Darlene's blog, click on the "follow" tab at the very bottom of the screen.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

One Writer's Mind: Pursuing the Dream

After 18 years of writing almost every day, a few hundred articles and seven books, I am at last taking the plunge. I am going to try to make my living writing.

I don't know much about how it will work. My agent, Chip MacGregor, talks about thinking of income in terms of quarters. How much do I need every three months to get by? And I know I am close.

The question comes, how will I make up the difference? It's a business. I have to treat my computer as my office and sit down each and every day and write for the length of time I would be working at Echostar--probably more. I have to explore open markets and introduce myself.

And trust God to open and close doors.

When I say "write," I don't mean I am writing a novel or an article for eight hours a day. That includes time spent researching, marketing, planning--even blogging. Writing and editing take up only a portion of my work time.

Pray with me for discipline for getting "to work" in a timely manner each day, and for a balance between my family's needs (where will Mom go after the hospital?) and my need for income.

And start pursuing your own dreams. What do you need to do to get there?

3 comments:

Cecelia Dowdy said...

I've been wanting to do this for a long time, but never had the courage, or the means, to quit my dayjob! I hope the Lord blesses you with your endeavors! Chip M. appears to be giving some great advice about income in quarters. I want to say that another agent told me the same thing once.

Anonymous said...

God bless your new committment to writing. I so hope to do that myself someday. I will be praying for you.

Donna Lee Loomis

Jan Parrish said...

That's exciting and scary at the same time. I'll be praying for you!

I've spent more time of Facebook and Twitter than blogging. Haven't visited blogs in weeks- maybe a month. Anyway, just popping in to say, "Happy Independence Day!"