To become a follower to Darlene's blog, click on the "follow" tab at the very bottom of the screen.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Books in Review

Just this morning, I finished a terrific book. Between books I'm bursting to share and a new group I've joined specifically for writers of fiction set in America in the 19th century, I've decided to resurrect a feature on book reviews.

Matt Rogers was a pastor in the Virginia Tech community when 33 students died in the massacre. He wrote When Answers Aren't Enough: Experiencing God as Good when Life Isn't out of that experience. The books reads more like a journal than a theological treatise, a series of short, poignant essays in three sections: Embracing the World That is, Remembering the World That Was, Imagining the World That Will Be. These bite-sized truths echoed in my own heart. Somehow he's put into words much of what I experienced of God in the months following Jolene's death. Buy it, read it, keep it to savor and contemplate.

This past month I read two books which I had read in fits and starts as they went through the critique process. Read as a whole, I could appreciate anew the author's brilliance. Susan Page Davis, my critique partners, has winners in A New Joy (a New Hampshire historical) and Heart in the Crosshairs (romantic suspense about Maine's governor.)

Shannon, my middle granddaughter, reads all the time; but Savannah (the eldest) rarely raves about a book. So when she recommended The Giver by Lois Lowry, I had to read it. It's a YA novel that offers a thought provoking alternative future, one where pain and discomfort are only remembered by one member of that society, and euthanasia is a common practice. Find it and talk it over with younger members of your own family.

3 comments:

Susan Page Davis said...

Darlene, thanks so much for mentioning my books. I'm glad you enjoyed Hearts in the Crosshairs and A New Joy. I also loved reading Lois Lowry's The Giver, but I have to say, you must now read Gathering Blue, the sequel. This book is so much more hopeful than The Giver. I read this one aloud to my dh and kids, I loved it so much. While in The Giver, the society is very high-tech, in Gathering Blue it's another future society that has LOST its technology.

Barb said...

Darlene,
Thanks for the tips on these books. Hope I get a chance to get some more reading done soon.

Clairessa said...

I believe I've read The Giver, but I don't remember whether it was assigned reading or something I picked up. I kind of struck me as very much like Anthem by Ayn Rand.