To become a follower to Darlene's blog, click on the "follow" tab at the very bottom of the screen.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

GROWING PAINS

No, I'm not talking about my two month old grandson, who weighs more than 13 lbs., thank you very much.


Not long ago, I was congratulating myself for growth in my writing career that have happened without my knowing it:


  • I've built a tribe.
  • I've developed a good instinct for what works in my writing (if my gut tells me something is wrong, I'd better listen!)
  • I've acquired a knack for discovering unusual story ideas.

I should have known a corresponding downward turn would come my way. It hit last week. My editor dislikes my last manuscript, turned in on October 1st. She sent it to a copy editor, who hates it. I don't think that's too strong a turn. She thinks the conflict is unbelievable; both the hero and the heroine are unlikeable; they are inconsistent; and then there are tons of minor questions to resolve.

Gulp. This, then, is when I prove my mettle as a professional. Can I accept and learn from harsh criticism?

This isn't just any story. This is my favorite story. One that I wrote in the last century, one that I've loved every time I've reread it.

But ... I think it also reflects where I was in the 1990s. I have grown, not only as a writer, but a believer, as a person. My hero and heroine represent who I was then. I believe my challenge is to rewrite them to reflect the person I've become.

Pray that I will write a story that honors God and turns readers to His love. Pray that I will be able to see the new growth forest arising out of the ashes of the destruction as I rewrite.

No comments: