To become a follower to Darlene's blog, click on the "follow" tab at the very bottom of the screen.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

WHOLE HEARTED

I was debating what to write about today (like the spirit-lifting performance of the 40-ish Mom of three climbing open steps at the top of a 60-story building, with each step, I will not be defeated [by her fear of heights].  Patty has already won my heart for The Hero.)

Anyhow, a church came to sing with us today. The words of one of the hymns struck as so rich with everything I've been learning from my Daily Nibble (my devotional blog) for the past few months. It's never been one of my favorite hymns, but after this, I might change my mind. So I thought I would share the words with you, highlighting the phrases that made me think of the books of history in the Bible.

Lord Jesus, I long to be perfectly whole; 
I want Thee forever to live in my soul.
Break down every idol, cast out every foe;
Now wash me and I shall be whiter than snow.

Chorus:
Whiter than snow, yes, whiter than snow.
Now wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Lord Jesus, look down from thy throne in the skies,
And help me to make a complete sacrifice.
I give up myself and whatever I know,
Now wash me and I shall be whiter than snow.

Lord Jesus, Thou seest I perfectly wait,
Come now, within me a new heart create.
To those who have sought Thee, Thou never saidst no.
Now wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
                         --Written by James L. Nicholson, 1872

After this week of physical weakness and emotional despair, I cry with the hymnist, "I long to be perfectly whole."

May I seek the Lord, confess the idols in my life, offer myself as a living sacrifice.

The Lord will always wash me whiter than snow.

1 comment:

kbailey said...

amen, I long to be completely whole as well... xo