To become a follower to Darlene's blog, click on the "follow" tab at the very bottom of the screen.

Sunday, October 6, 2013

BEST OF SONGS ABOUT HEAVEN

Today I worshiped the Lord through song. One of the churches that comes regularly always brings red folders with the same fourteen hymns. All of them, except for Jesus Loves Me, speak of heaven. So, I thought, why not a list of some of my favorite songs about heaven? Here are the top dozen, for or less leading up to number 1.

1. Handel's Hallelujah Chorus. No wonder the king stood to his feet when he heard this classic for the first time. I have heard it and sung it as both soprano and alto. The words are based on different verses in the 19th chapter of Revelation.

2. I Can Only Imagine. I heard this first at church before I ever heard Mercy Me's version. Even so, I was instantly transported to heaven, kneeling at Jesus' feet, imagining my quadriplegic friend Vickie Baker dancing before the Lord.

3. No More Night. This song became popular during the 1980s. It captured my heart's cry for the perfection and end of trials that is heaven.

4. Homesick. Mercy Me's other song about heaven made me long for my loved ones who have gone before me. I want to join my family, to standard shoulder to shoulder with my grandmother, mother, and daughter.

5. Amazing Grace--For the eternal life awaiting me in heaven.

6. I've Got a Mansion--a favorite from childhood campfires that only grows more precious with age

7. Will There Be Any Stars in my Crown?--a reminder that I want to bring people along with me, to have crowns to lay at Jesus' feet.

8. On Jordan's Stormy Banks I Stand--I love folks hymns. I remember hearing this one for the first time on a television drama (can't remember which one). It wasn't in our church's hymnal, or most others that I've used, so I was a little surprised to see it in our 14-hymn red folder.

9. When We All Get to Heaven--always a popular favorite, sung with rousing enthusiasm.

10. Christ the Lord is Risen Today--which is more about the second resurrection than about heaven but I love the triumph. "Ours the cross, the grave, the skies! Alleluia!" The same theme is repeated in the chorus "Lord, I Lift Your Name on High."

11. Oh That Will Be Glory for Me--to look on His face. Amen!

12. When the Roll is Called up Yonder--a rousing affirmation of assurance in my salvation. I'll be there!

What are your favorite songs about heaven? Let's hum them together, joining in anticipation of the coming day.

No comments: