To become a follower to Darlene's blog, click on the "follow" tab at the very bottom of the screen.

Sunday, January 19, 2014

ENNUI

A fancy French word, ah-nwee sounds like the vague feelings of dissatisfaction and boredom that have set in. Typical January fare, especially since I am four months away from my next deadline, so no pressing need to write.

The place where I live changed ownership. They have restructured the rooms so that everyone lives in half of the building, and we all have roommates. They left me without a roommate longer than most, but when they gave me one, well, she was a doozy. I won't go into specifics, only that she reminded me of Jolene's constant neediness. After two weeks of enduring the situation, I decided I needed a change. So I changed rooms. My new roommate would probably rather be alone (wouldn't we all?),but I feel sure that we will reach an arrangement agreeable to both of us. Still, the changes have taken their toll and I'm not sleeping as well as I have been.

Christmas turned out great, New Year's was okay. Today I get to watch my beloved Broncos to take on the New England Patriots in the hopes of returning to the Super Bowl for the first time in the post-John Elway era.

On the writing front, good news. I have the May 15th deadline; I have submitted a proposal for a May 1st novella, another editor interested in a different novella, and an editor who wants to see my written-but-not-edited mss of Colorado Highland Hearts.

Until I hear back on the novellas, I need to work on my May 15th deadline. Like any new book, I face the fear of the blank page. This time around I face a couple of other hurdles: I am feeling a little dissatisfied of writing the short romance and would like a challenge; and the challenge of writing this story comes from writing about a single mom with a troubled teen--a situation that falls close to home.

So your prayers, as always, are appreciated. That I will build up my roommate and not knock her down. That I will be faithful to write the stories God has given me, to the best of my ability. That I will write this current story to encourage those single moms (or married moms, for that matter) who struggle with a troubled child, with truth and hope.

Oh, and that I will know which open door to enter. :)

No comments: