To become a follower to Darlene's blog, click on the "follow" tab at the very bottom of the screen.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

POETRY March 5-11, 2014

This week, I determined to write poetry about subjects that bring me joy. I wrote about man (women too) made in God's image, and my oldest granddaughter's and my son's birthdays.  

Poem #1: Prompt starting "Every life needs a. . ."

EVERY LIFE NEEDS A MIRROR

Let Us make a self-portrait
Humanity alone will reflect Our nature
Humanity, but not a man nor a woman
Every person born is a fleck of paint
Drawn by Us in unique detail
We’ll embody ourselves in nature so they will hear
Our voice echoed in its rhythm and song
We’ll imitate Our dimensions so they will see Us
From hummingbird to Everest
Families and sex epitomize Our love
Like a funny house, they distort Our image
We were the Word before we gave them minds to learn
The words we use to represent us
Every vision is seen through a dark mirror, broken
Until Our light replaces the sun and we meet face to face
Every knee bowed, Our portrait complete


TO JARAN
For his 34th Birthday

Eager, ignorant, me a greenhorn
No harm, all good, to adorn
Gabriel, blow your horn
My first-born
Thrill

I say Lennon, he says Cobain—growth’s thorn
Zenith passes childhood’s morn
Gabriel, blow your horn
My first-born
Fill

New-found love explodes, no longer lorn
Apron strings returned, though torn
Gabriel, blow your horn
My first-born
Still

Form: Triquint


FOR SAVANNA’S 18TH BIRTHDAY

THE DAY WE MET
Dancing on the street
Daring water jets for fun
I knew I loved you

OF SAVANNAH
Child of love not blood
Passion, beauty, wits, bold strikes
Unlimited hope

Form: Haiku

No comments: