To become a follower to Darlene's blog, click on the "follow" tab at the very bottom of the screen.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Poetry Zone May 21-27, 2014

Prompt: Combine first lines or titles from your favorite musician into a poem. I thought about John Denver and Charles Wesley, but ended up with Fanny Crosby. Wesley and Crosby both wrote hymns, and her hymns are the ones I still sing.

FANNY CROSBY’S BLIND FAITH

Rescue the perishing for I am Thine, o Lord
Pass me not, o gentle Savior
Redeemed, how I love to proclaim it

Near the cross, tell me the stories of Jesus
He hideth my soul close to thee
Blessed assurance, to God be the glory

Take the world but give me Jesus
Savior, more than life to me
To God be the glory of unsearchable riches

Jesus is tenderly calling me home
All the way my Savior leads me
To that bright forever

Form: Staccatto

Two poems for this one.

ON PHYSICAL THERAPY
He holds colored cones in a tow’ring stack
My arm stretches out, bones grinding on bones
Reach high! Reach high! Don’t dare to stop
Unfolding fingers brush air and miss
Undaunted, I extend my hand again
Reach high! At last the end, success

ON GRADUATION

Proudly you march to pomp and circumstance
While your heart beats romp with joy on this day
Go forth! Go forth! The world’s your stage
Your choice to make, to hurl yourself
Into the future, grasping the brass ring
Go forth with confidence, clasping your dreams.

No comments: