To become a follower to Darlene's blog, click on the "follow" tab at the very bottom of the screen.

Monday, June 9, 2014

ANSWERING MY OWN PRAYERS

Recently I read a devotional on Jehovah Jireh, the God who provides. The book is Daily Reflections on the Names of God by Ava Pennington.

In the devotional, she talked about how Joseph's presence in Egypt allowed him to answer his family's prayer for food. Her challenge: How might Yahweh Jireh want me to provide for someone I am praying for today?

I prayed that God would help me be a friend to people who are hurting, instead of getting angry. (I was thinking of my aides.)

I even prayed that God would give me the grace to take action when the opportunity presented itself.  You know, how when you pray for patience and so God gives you the opportunity to be patient?

Flash forward a few hours. A lady who has become a good friend came to lunch late and then, as always, took a very long time to eat. When I finished eating, I prepared to leave. She begged me, "please stay."

I left anyway . . .and felt guilty but didn't turn back,

Today I took an extra ten minutes with her. Feeling virtuous, I headed for my room. Said hi to another dear lady.

Who asked me--you guessed it--to come in to visit.

I said no, but no further than a foot past her door before I turned back.

I still have to figure out the puzzle of churly aides.

Anyhow--maybe my challenge is yours as well. Maybe we already know what we should do, and pray for grace--and "just do it."

No comments: