To become a follower to Darlene's blog, click on the "follow" tab at the very bottom of the screen.

Monday, June 2, 2014

THE MERRY MERRY MONTH OF MAY


Where did May go? To a week in the hospital and. . .what?

All kinds of issues have been resolved.

  • I actually have therapy five days a week. I am standing more easily and walking more. My arms are stretching higher, as well as my "core." I am so very glad.
  • The rapid weight gain has finally stopped. Not losing weight yet, but it's a step in the right direction.
  • I finished the Women of the Bible devotional project. It challenged and blessed me in a zillion ways. I wrote about women R-T. From the Matriarchs Rachel, Rebekah and Sarah to women of infamy (Sapphira, anyone?) and many others I didn't even recognize, my eyes having glazed over their names in those long genealogy lists.
  • Started a novella for Barbour. I am delighted to be working with Barbour again.
  • Seeing real progress in the ladies I eat with every day. I can count on one lady saying the same thing every day, but the other three of us have conversations on a variety of topics.
  • I am sleeping well.  I go through long spells of not sleeping well, so it's a blessing.
  • My oldest granddaughter graduated from high school. A happy time for the family indeed.
  • Apparently without my knowledge I am now on both Medicaid and Medicare, which allows me a lot more versatility in medical coverage.
  • After years of suspecting I have sleep apnea, it was confirmed. And the hospital doctor told me the bipap machine I'm using could add 5 years to my life.  (Why didn't we check this earlier?)
  • Winning a bloom of the week for two poems at http://poeticbloomings.com/  I'm still treating poetry as a fragile Christmas ornament that I have no idea what to do with it. But apparently I'm a good poet. (Three wins on three months)
I've made several changes, all at once, which leave me feeling drained. And downright hungry at others. I didn't think my rapid weight gain was due to my eating habits. They hadn't changed, but the rate of gain did. But. . .I did change my diet. I'm actually eating most vegetables now. (Shock, I know, for those of you who know me in person).  Double portions of protein to help with wound healing. Half of carbs, literally. One slice of bread on sandwiches. Bottom half of a hamburger bun. And so on. No added sugar. Little salt and butter, but I had already made that change.

I already mentioned the daily therapy--welcome but exhausting.

But then they finally identified the biggest problem with the weight: I've been drinking too much! Close to my six to eight cups of water. . .plus 1-2 diet cokes, 1 cup of coffee, and 2 drinks with each meal. I've been cut to half of that. 2 tiny glasses (milk and juice) for breakfast, a cup of water with miralax, 1 small glass of tea at lunch and supper, 1 cup of water for taking meds throughout the day. And one final cup that I can use any way I wish. I'm sure they would prefer I drink water but I choose between juice, diet coke, and coffee.

So when my mouth gets during therapy, I pop a couple of ice chips in my mouth. When I cough. . .that's a problem.

None of the changes by themselves have been difficult. Surprisingly so. But every now and then I want to splurge. To have cup of coffee in the morning. To have two pieces of birthday cake, or two cookies instead of one. (I know, I'm blessed that I still get small portions of desserts). For me to be the one to remind a nurse, "I can't have that."

So thanks for you for "listening." It helps to remember all the reasons for rejoicing.




No comments: